Wednesday, February 9, 2011

the "REACTED, CREATED!" manifesto

There was a fire in the hospital on the day I was born. There was a flood that day too. A man drowned in his car. I realize it sounds like some kind of apocalyptic tale. Maybe it is and I just don't know it yet. If that's the case though, and maybe the Mayans were on to something after all, I plan to leave behind a decent representation of life in America as I saw it.

I will be turning thirty in September. To celebrate, (I swear this isn't a whole "Hooray + Let's Celebrate the-Life and-Times-of-Cara-Schmidt Event") I'm going to spend the next several months compiling stories and constructing corresponding dioramas to illustrate the happenings, events and ideas that have shaped and inspired us. Of course, unless I get feedback from you, it will be more about the things that have influenced just me, and that won't be as interesting.


for consideration:
i. if you come across some amazing fabric scrap/mystery screw/busted-up costume bauble i'll take it off your hands and incorporate it into the work.
ii. should you support my efforts with ideas or artifacts i'll gladly sing your praises and promote your projects.
iii. for images brined in brackish pop-culture backwater i intend to stick to lower-grade building materials. should the tableau require reverence i will make every attempt to use more appropriate supplies.

the plan, as of now:
i. weekly i will state the year of focus.
ii. i'll tell a harrowing tale and ask if there is anything you can think of that seems to be more worthy of illustration. there's a great chance you'll have a thing in and mind and i'll appreciate you for it.
iii. a diorama/shadowbox of sorts will be created.
iv. by the time my birthday rolls around thirty vignettes will sit in a row. i'll try to find a way to show them, ideally this will coincide with a party!! come to my party!!

catalysts:
amusement.
excuse to write more.
inspiration for creating boxes.
obscuring stress associated with waiting*.
using some of the thousands of rhinestones i have accumulated.

*i've applied to and am dying to hear back from drexel. i am hoping to get my master's in art therapy.


ridiculous:
there are just enough weeks, if i start now, to have everything done for my birthday. good timing, self!!

No comments:

Post a Comment