Thursday, March 10, 2011

the wiz

I've been vegetarian for almost twenty years. I blame this on the owner of the most fantastic pair of overalls you could ever imagine. I need to find or make a picture of them.

(Parallel: in some ways they may be similar to that horrible dress.) The bib of the denim overalls presented the viewer with an airbrushed rendition of a kitten playing with a yarn-ball. The yarn-ball was rolling away but the kitten was also slightly, noticeably off-center. Her name, "Jeanette" went down one of the legs--in cursive, but down anyway. As a 6th grader I found this really upsetting. Script should read left to right, not top to bottom.

These fancy pants were created by someone who was in "The Wiz." That memory is distinct. It seemed strange that a teacher should be wearing jeans to school. It seemed strange that an adult should be wearing overalls in public. It seemed strange that an adult should be wearing images of a kitten at all.




She talked about meat and used as a source what must have been The Teacher's Guide to Upton Sinclair, First Edition. I was scarred. Hearing about the "little yellow tablets" put into globby oil to color margarine had a terrible impact on me. The composition of hot dogs ruined me completely. That day, I threw away my ham sandwich. Probably we all did. I never ate meat again.

No comments:

Post a Comment